Thursday, March 1, 2007

My Worst Memory

My Worst Memory

As I lay here with my mouth wide open I try to think of happy things. But I am overwhelmed by the artificial strawberry scent that fills my nostrils. Suddenly, I hear the dentist say, “Open your mouth wide like an alligator.” I feel like chomping down on his fingers as he descends his horrible hand into my mouth. I try to swallow but I can’t with my mouth wide open. I try to close my mouth but the dentist merely sticks his hand back in mouth. I feel and taste something being spread in my mouth. I see something silver flash through the air.

Just as I begin to hear the drill, the laughing gas goes into effect. I feel as though I am doing somersaults in the air. Nobody seems to notice as I fly through the window. The dentist merely jumps after me and continues to work on my teeth. Suddenly, I know exactly where I am and, for a moment, I think my cheek is swollen. My first urge is to start running around, but I am too tired. I just sank back down and fell asleep.

Finally it’s over. I sit there dazed for a minute. It’s impossible to feel my mouth as I stagger out to the car. The only thing I can feel is my new, shiny, silver tooth.

No comments: